left Gospel Missionary Message: Bill's Message on Uncertainty and Fear

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Bill's Message on Uncertainty and Fear


Is it possible for us to live contentedly amidst the changes that are ocurring so rapidly as we enter 2007*. The threat of war, depression and every on predicting disaster seems to be the order of the day. What is there that will help us to face the uncertainties and the fears that fill our hearts?

I believe that it would be good for us to take a look at some of the things that never change and that have never moved. The polestar that the sailors looked to for guidance has not moved. It is still in the same place and still guides the ships. Here are a few other things that have never changed and never will change.

God's Word never changes. "Heaven and earth may pass away, but my words will never pass away." Matt 24:25. This is the Word that was once delivered. God never has to come up with a new edition, His Word will see us through anything that may come to pass.

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today, and forever." Hebrews 13:8. He has been the help of multitudes in times of greatest distress when they faced death and suffering for His Name. He was there with them each step of the way.

The Gospel has never changed. We come to know the Lord the same way as did those who walked the paths of Palestine with Jesus. Repentance and confession of sin and failure will still bring forgiveness and blessing.

There is a need for us to under stand that God is in control. God is still God and there is nothing that will ever surprise Him. No matter what may happen in 2007*, we who know Him need never fear.

The clouds hang heavy around my way
I cannot see.
But through the darkness I blieve
God leadeth me.
'Tis bliss to keep my hand in His
While all id dim,
To close my weary aching eyes
And follow him.


(From "My Heart is Tied"
by Florence Shillingsberg.)


Faith follows God in the dark.

And as I sit and write these words, the threat of war hangs heavy over our land and I am concerned for those who will be involved. We are praying daily for them that the Lord will protect and help them to be effective soldiers. So let us pray for them and for the families they represent.

For those with loved ones there, I would like to share a few things that were of special blessing to me when I was in the same situation.

  1. Psalm 91. My mother sent me this Psalm just when it was most needed.
  2. A little verse was also sent:

No bomb or shell may on me burst
except the Lord permit it first.
No bomb above or shell below
need cause my heart one pang of woe.
The Lord of Hosts encircles me
He is my Lord on land or sea.

Thank you very much
Bill Gibson, January 1991

*Note from Shirley: I changed the date from 1991 to 2007.

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
The images on this website are protected by copyright. Please do not use them without permission.

Thought for Today

We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls. ~Mother Teresa