left Gospel Missionary Message: Letter from Gladis - 1953

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Letter from Gladis - 1953


August 3, 1953
Riobamba, Ecuador

About eight 0'clock we heard a thud and the tinkling of broken glass. Since there was no electricity, we took the lamp to investigate and I had Shirley. We found that some one had thrown a rock at the Scripture verse in the window. It was quite a mess and we were a bit excited.

Later, I put Shirley to bed and she said, "Fraid." So when we asked why, she said "Wock, winno, fraid." No amount of words nor rubbing could make her forget, so I took her in my arms and rocked her and she was quite and soon off to dream land.

Later, we retired and were thinking about all the things that had happened. The electric plant had been damaged by high water, the train has been out for a few days, the folks in Shell are completely isolated and it will take a year to fix the road, washed away by high waters, the whole mission station at Shandia was washed away. The thought came to me of the possibility of thieves entering the house under cover of darkness and besides, we know we are hated.

I remembered that the Lord said in the last days fearful things will happen, including earthquakes. It was four years ago in this same month when the other great quake came. First thing I know, I was worrying about all this and wondering what we would do and we talked it over and decided that what we would do if there was time.

Suddenly, my stomach was a knot of fear, and I prayed. The Lord so graciously answered and reminded me of the verse "Perfect love casteth out fear" and I felt I was cradled in His arms just as I had done for my little girl a while before.

How simple is the trust of a little child, and just so should be our trust in the One who is our Father, Friend, and comforter.

Suddenly in the midst of all my mental activity, Bill asked if I was afraid and I could honestly say no because His perfect love had cast out all fear. Praise His name.

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
The images on this website are protected by copyright. Please do not use them without permission.

Thought for Today

We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls. ~Mother Teresa